Historic Markers Across Florida



Site of Former Town of Magnolia



Marker ID: FLHM F-238
Location: East side of the St. Marks River on U.S. 98.
County: Wakulla
Coordinates: N 30° 11.948    W 084° 10.529
  30.19913333    -84.17548333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7BNC
 



Text:

Two miles north of this site was located the town of Magnolia, founded in 1827 by the four Hamlin brothers of Augusta, Maine. The Hamlin family had been attracted to the new territory of Florida by the availability of land. The Hamlins chose a site on the St. Marks River which had potential for development into a port town. Because of the lack of overland routes to the north, coastal outlets were particularly important to the settlers and planters of Middle Florida. Magnolia quickly developed into a small but busy port, and in 1829, a U.S. customs house was established there. In the early 1830´s, the town had a number of stores and warehouses as well as a bank. Increasing cotton production contributed to magnolia´s commercial growth, but soon the climate and navigational difficulties on the river presented problems for the community. Competition came from the nearby town of St. Marks, and in the mid-1830´s the customs house was transferred there. Litigation over land claims in the area also contributed tot he decline of the community. Bypassed in 1836 by the new railroad from Tallahassee to St. Marks, Magnolia was gradually abandoned. Today nothing remains of the town except a small cemetery

Sponsors: sponsored by the Wakulla County Bicentennial Committee in cooperation with Department of State - 1975


Notes:

City: Newport, FL