Historic Markers Across Florida



Old Sopchoppy High School



Marker ID: FLHM F-456
Location: 164 Yellow Jacket Avenue
County: Wakulla
Coordinates: N 30° 03.501    W 084° 29.6
  30.05835    -84.49333333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM67RP
 



Text:

Old Sopchoppy High School


Constructed in 1924 and accredited in 1928, this was the first high school built in Wakulla County. The original stucco section, an "H"shaped design with one central area and three classrooms on each side, was made possible when Sopchoppy citizens voted in 1921 for a bond issue to cover construction costs. In the 1930's, the New Deal's Works Progress Administration (WPA) used local labor to construct the first limestone addition, containing two wings of seven classrooms and the present auditorium. The limestone portions are characteristic of Spanish mission construction and exemplify 1930s master craftsmanship. In 1938-39, the second limestone addition was built, running in a north-south direction and featuring three classrooms with an adjoining hallway. Across the street, the "Spanish mission" style gymnasium, also built during this time, has been restored for use during private, cultural and civic events. The schools was integrated in 1966-67 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building is architecturally significant due to its style and the master craftsmanship used in cutting its 18-to 20- inch thick walls of native limestone, which was mined approximately 12 miles north of Sopchopp





F-456 A Florida Heritage Site

The Wakulla County School Board
and the Florida Department of State
2001



Notes:

City: Sopchoppy, FL