Historic Markers Across Florida



Eucheeanna Community



Marker ID: FLHM F-567
Location: McKinnon Bridge Rd., Defuniak Springs, FL
County: Walton
Coordinates: N 30° 38.527    W 086° 02.717
  30.64211666    -86.04528333
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNVN3
 



Text:

Eucheeanna, the first Scottish settlement in territorial Florida, was named in honor of the Euchee Indians. Tradition holds that the first slave child was born in the settlement. Eucheeanna consisted of a school, court house, jail, Masonic and Odd Fellows halls, general stores, a sawmill and a grist mill. The first monument in Florida erected to confederate dead was located in Eucheeanna in 1868 by the Ladies´ Monument Association. At that time, Eucheeanna was the county seat for Walton County until the court house was burned by an arsonist in May, 1885. On May 27, 1886, a commission approved moving the Walton County seat to DeFuniak Springs. Finally, the monument was moved to Euchee Valley Presbyterian Church and later moved to DeFuniak Springs. The Civil War came to Eucheeanna on September 23, 1864 when the federal troops, under General Ashboth, came to raze and plunder on their way to Marianna and Tallahassee.

Sponsors: the Walton County Board Of County Commissioners and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Defuniak Springs, FL