Historic Markers Across Florida



Knox Hill Academy 1848



Marker ID: FLHM F-623
Location: at the intersection of Knox Hill Road and Pulsey Hill Road, Ponce de Leon, FL
County: Walton
Coordinates: N 30° 38.497    W 085° 57.461
  30.64161666    -85.95768333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNVN0
 



Text:

The Knox Hill Academy, a boarding school, was founded in 1848 by the Rev. John Newton (April 22, 1814-Nov. 21, 1871), who was also the head master and a Presbyterian minister. It was first located near a spring northeast of the Morrison Place on Knox Hill. The original sponsors were the Campbells, McLeans, Gunns, Morrisons, Gillies, McCaskills, McPhersons, and McDonalds. It replaced the log Henry School House. The first building was a split log house built on the top of a hill and furnished with single desks and blackboards. Slates and chalk were used for writing. Eighty-four to 100 regular pupils attended. In January 1859 the academy was moved to a large, two-story frame building north of the original site. Class for older students was held on the second floor and the younger students on the first floor. This academy was highly acclaimed and provided education for students from West Florida, Southwest Georgia and Southern Alabama, from Pensacola to Tallahassee. It also included a laboratory for chemistry and physics. Reverend John Newton closed Knox Hill Academy in 1871 and moved to Mary Esther where he opened a school. Reverend Newtons motto was: You must learn and obe

y.Sponsors: the Walton County Board of County Commissioners and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Defuniak Springs, FL