Historic Markers Across Florida



Euchee Valley Presbyterian Church And Cemetery



Marker ID: FLHM F-622
Location: at the intersection of County Route 183 and County Route 280, Ponce de Leon, FL
County: Walton
Coordinates: N 30° 39.185    W 086° 0.123
  30.65308333    -86.00205
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNVN2
 



Text:

This is the site of one of Florida´s oldest organized Presbyterian Church which was the largest Presbyterian Church in Florida until 1885. On May 27, 1827, the Reverend Murdoch Murphy of the Alabama Synod presided with one Elder, Donald McLean, Sr., and 15 families. This log church served the community for 20 years until a new 50 by 100 ft. church with large inside galleries was built adjacent to the log church in 1847. Reverend Samuel Robinson dedicated the new church on November 26, 1848. Reverend Robert Quarterman Baker, civil war veteran from Georgia, served the church until his death in October 1923. The third and present church was erected, using foundation supports from the original log church. The cemetery contains the remains of many of the original settlers, including two signers of Florida´s first Constitution, veterans of all wars dating from the Revolutionary War, civic leaders, elected officials and ministers. There are more than 3,000 graves in the old cemetery, many unmarked, and many brought home from Alabama and Northwest Florida.

Sponsors: the Walton County Board Of County Commissioners and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: DeFuniak Springs, FL