Historic Markers Across Florida



Alford’s Mill (Site of)



Marker ID: FLHM F-621
Location: at the intersection of Oak Grove Road and Alford Road, Westville, FL
County: Walton
Coordinates: N 30° 59.306    W 086° 3.616
  30.98843333    -86.06026666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNXV7
 



Text:

Just prior to 1860, Francis Marion Alford, Sr. selected Limestone Creek for his grist mill. The numerous springs feeding the creek created a good flow of water even during a severe drought. This particular site was chosen for its high banks on both sides of the creek, simplifying the installation of a weir (barrier). Construction was completed probably in early 1864. Soon this site became the focal point of the community. A post office was established as well as a stage coach stop. Alfords Mill is also denoted on Yankee invasion maps. Marion sold the mill in 1883 and the post office was changed from Alfords Mill to Limestone. The mill came back into the Alford family in 1897 when William David (Shug) Alford and his father-in-law, Ace Washington Dannelley, purchased the old mill and converted it into a saw mill. They operated the saw mill until 1904. Many stories have been handed down about how during the last years of the Civil War, many hungry mouths were furnished bread from the Alfords Mill.

Sponsors: The Walton County Public Works and the Florida Department of State