Historic Markers Across Florida



Moss Hill



Marker ID: FLHM F-108
Location: on C.R. 279, 3.6 miles southeast of C.R. 79, South
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 30° 35.050    W 085° 40.636
  30.58416666    -85.67726666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM894D
 



Text:

Early settlers, attracted by the fertile Coosada (later Holmes) Old Fields, established a log schoolhouse Methodist mission near here soon after Spain ceded Florida to the United Stated in 1820. The first Methodist ministerial assignment between the Apalachicola River and Pensacola was made to the Holmes Valley Mission. During the early history of Washington County, court terms were held here or in the home of a nearby settler. A church was erected here in 1857.

Sponsors: In Cooperation With Rural Areas Development Council of Washington County - 1963


Notes:

City: Vernon, FL