Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Due West



Marker ID: SCHM 1-6
Location: Intersection of Main and Church Streets, Due West
County: Abbeville
Coordinates: N 34° 20.083    W 082° 23.222
  34.334717    -82.387033
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

As early as 1765 the site 6 miles NW known to the Indians as Yellow Water, where the Keowee Path crossed the Cherokee line, was called DeWitt´s Corner. In 1777 a treaty between S.C. and the Cherokee Indians was signed there. The present town was first called Due West Corner. Here in 1839 Erskine College the state´s first 4-year church college was founded by the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.

Erected 1963 by Erskine College.