Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Mcgowan-Barksdale-Bundy House



Marker ID: SCHM 1-11
Location: corner of N. Main St. S.C. Hwy. 28/71) and Wardlaw St., Abbeville, SC
County: Abbeville
Coordinates: N 34° 10.792    W 082° 22.871
  34.17986666    -82.38118333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
The Greek Revival residence of Thomas Chiles Perrin (1805 1878), prominent Abbeville District lawyer, planter, businessman, and politician, stood here from 1858 until it burned in 1877. When completed the house was described as "one of the finest and most commodious mansions in the State." Perrin served as mayor, state representative and senator and for many years as president of the Greenville and Columbia RR.

(Reverse)
In December 1860, as chair of the Abbeville District delegation to the Secession Convention, Perrin was the first signer of the Ordinance of Secession. As the Confederacy collapsed in May 1865 President Jefferson Davis and his Cabinet held their last council of war across the street at the Burt Stark Mansion. Thomas and Jane Eliza Perrin hosted most of the Cabinet here during its brief stay in Abbeville.

Erected by the Abbeville Co. Historic Preservation Commission, 1998