Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Lowndesville



Marker ID: SCHM 1-12
Location: Main St., Lowndesville, SC
County: Abbeville
Coordinates: N 34° 12.627    W 082° 38.71
  34.21045    -82.64516666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This town, established in 1823, grew up around a store owned by Matthew Young (1803-1878), who was also postmaster 1831-43. It was first called Pressly´s Station, for the post office opened in 1823 with David Pressly (1764-1834) as postmaster. The town was renamed Rocky River in 1831 and then Lowndesville in 1836 for William Lowndes (1782-1822), U.S. Congressman 1811-22.

(Reverse) Lowndesville, incorporated in 1839, had about 150 inhabitants then and 150-350 inhabitants for most of its history. Cotton was the major crop in the area, with bales ginned here and shipped by the Charleston & Western Carolina Railway. In 1890 Lowndesville included a hotel, nine general stores, a grocery, a dry goods store, a drugstore, a stable, and three saw mills.

Erected in Memory of Capt. Herman Arnette Carlisle by the Town of Lowndesville, 2006