Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Action at Pratt’s Mill / Pratt’s Mill



Marker ID: SCHM 1-13
Location: S.C. Hwy. 184 at the Little River, just NE of its intersection with S.C. Sec. Rd. 1-59, Due West vicinity
County: Abbeville
Coordinates: N 34° 18.383    W 082° 26.45
  34.30638333    -82.44083333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
The last action of the Revolution in this part of S.C. was at Pratt´s Mill, a grist mill on the Little River owned by Joseph Pratt. On October 30, 1781, an outpost of 30 Patriots at the mill, under Capt. John Norwood, was surprised by 30 Loyalists and Cherokees under Col. William “Bloody Bill” Cunningham. Norwood, who was wounded, was the only casualty on either side.

(Reverse) The Patriots fled, leaving behind 30 horses and most of their weapons; the Loyalists burned the mill. The Pratt family later rebuilt the mill, which appears in Robert Mills´s Atlas of S.C. (1825). They later built another mill on Hogskin Creek, about 500 yds. N of the first mill. That mill, which operated throughout the 19th century, was destroyed by a flood in 1908.

Erected by the Abbeville County Historical Society, 2007