Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Broadmouth Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 1-15
Location: 543 Broadmouth Church Rd., Honea Path, SC
County: Abbeville
Coordinates: N 34° 27.533    W 082° 21.067
  34.45888333    -82.35111666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church, named for nearby Broadmouth Creek, was organized in 1837 with nine charter members. Rev. William P. Martin was its first minister, and William Long and Noah Riddle Reeve were its first deacons. This tract was purchased from Jesse Gent in 1838. By 1850 the church had 213 members, both white and black. The present sanctuary, the second on this site, was built in 1954.

(Reverse)
After the Civil War, former slaves left to organize New Broadmouth Baptist Church. Rev. William P. Martin, pastor here 39 years (1837-1877), was succeeded by Rev. Richard W. Burts, pastor here 33 years (1877-1910). William Pleasant Kay donated the land where the cemetery was first laid out. It contains the graves of early pioneer families, including veterans of several wars.

Erected by the Congregation and the Kay Family Association, 2010