Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Colonial Block House / Fort Pickens



Marker ID: SCHM 1-18
Location: at the intersection of Washington Street (State Highway 203) and Cambridge Street, Abbeville, SC
County: Abbeville
Coordinates: N 34° 10.95    W 082° 22.45
  34.1825    -82.37416666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Colonial Block House


A "block house," a log building on a stone foundation, stood SE on Parker Creek from ca. 1767 into the 1850's. It was built by Andrew Pickens (1759-1817), later a militia general in the American Revolution, a state representative and senator, and a U.S. Congressman. Pickens married Rebecca Calhoun in 1765, moved to the Long Canes settlement, and built his home nearby.

Fort Pickens


The block house was an outpost near the boundary between Indian lands and white settlements and was later a refuge for area families during the Revolution. Tradition holds that in 1785 Pickens held the first court in the new Abbeville District there. After his death the old block house was popularly called "Fort Pickens" and this part of Abbeville was long known by the same name.

2014 by Little River Electric Cooperative and the Abbeville County Historical Society.