Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Treaty of DeWitt's Corner



Marker ID: SCHM 1-20
Location: on Due West Rd (State Highway 20) north of Brock Rd, Honea Path, SC
County: Abbeville
Coordinates: N 34° 23.833    W 082° 26.567
  34.39721666    -82.44278333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

[Front]:
In May 1777 a delegation of roughly 600 Cherokee and representatives from South Carolina and Georgia met near this spot to engage in negotiations that would end fighting in the Second Cherokee war, 1776-1777. On May 20, 1777 the parties signed the Treaty of DeWitt's Corner, which provided for an end to hostilities, prisoner returns, and large land concessions by the Lower Cherokee.


[Reverse]:
The territory ceded included present day Anderson, Greenville, Oconee, and Pickens Counties. The warfare ended by the Treaty of DeWitt's Corner was part of the revolutionary struggle between Anderson patriots and their British and loyalist opponents. The powerful Native American nations of the southeast played an important role in the war and most sided with the British.

Erected 2015 by Abbeville County Visitor's Council.