Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Abbeville Opera House (1908)



Marker ID: Abbeville Historical Society 
Location: at the County Square
County: Abbeville
Coordinates: N 34° 10.640    W 082° 22.703
  34.177333    -82.378383
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Abbeville was a railway stopover for "road companies" traveling eastern seaboard from New York to Atlanta so town included an Opera House in its new municipal building designed by Edwards & Walter of Atlanta.

* Dedicated October 1st, 1908 along with Court House
* October 10th "The Great Divide" opened on its 7500 square foot stage
* Many well known artists appeared in 250 live performances staged by traveling companies including dramas, minstrel shows, vaudeville
* 1910 "moving pictures" began playing weekly alongside stage shows
* Live theatre ceased in the late 1920s when "talkies" arrived
* Closed its doors early 1960s
* Fully restored in 1968 by Abbeville Community Theatre with live performances staged year round again

Designated "State Rural Drama Theatre of South Carolina" in 2002

Erected by Abbeville Historical Society.