Historic Markers Across South Carolina



1776 Blockhouse



Marker ID:  
Location: Inside the Livery Stable on Trinity St, Abbeville, SC
County: Abbeville
Coordinates: N 34° 10.978    W 082° 22.435
  34.18296666    -82.37391666
Style: Mounted **
 



Text:

This stone marks the place where, in 1767 Gen. Andrew Pickens built a BLOCK HOUSE as a place of refuge against the Indians. It was used as a fort during the Revolutionary Ware and was known as FORT PICKENS.

Erected by Andrew Hamilton Chapter D.A.R. 1922