Historic Markers Across South Carolina



The S.C. Railroad



Marker ID: SCHM 2-1
Location: at the intersection of Laurens Street SW and Park Avenue, Aiken, SC
County: Aiken
Coordinates: N 33° 33.587    W 081° 43.416
  33.55978333    -81.7236
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

[Front]:
The tracks of the S.C. Railroad, operated by the S.C. Canal & Railroad Company, ran here from 1833 to the 1850s. The company, chartered in 1827, began constructing a 136-mile long line from Charleston to Hamburg (near North Augusta) in 1830. Completed in 1833, the railroad was the longest in America at the time and the first to carry the United States mails. Aiken, chartered in 1835, was named for William Aiken (1779-1831), the railroad´s first president.

[Reverse]:
The original tracks through Aiken, one of the first “railroad towns” in the United States, ran along this street, then known as Railroad Avenue. Railroad Avenue was renamed Park Avenue in the 1850s after the tracks were moved one block south into the “Railroad Cut.” Though the S.C. Railroad flourished before the Civil War, it struggled during Reconstruction and afterwards. It was eventually absorbed into the Southern Railway in 1902.

Erected 2010 by The Aiken County Historical Society , replacing a marker erected by the society in 1962


Notes:

More information:
Wikipedia - South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company