Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Historic Church



Marker ID: All Saints Episcopal Church 2-4
Location: US 278 about 2 miles below Beech 1sland at entrance to Redcliffe Plantation State Park
County: Aiken
Coordinates: N 33° 25.380    W 081° 51.629
  33.423    -81.86048
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This church was built in 1836 by Beech Island Presbyterian Church, organized in 1827 with the Rev. Nathan H. Hoyt of Vermont as first pastor. His son-in-law, the Rev. Edward Axson, was ordained and served here. His daughter, Ellen, wife of Woodrow Wilson, was baptized here. In 1950 the building was consecrated as All Saints Episcopal Church.

Erected by All Saints Episcopal Church-1967