Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Beech Island Agricultural Club



Marker ID: SCHM 2-7
Location: US 278 at junction of Road 1139
County: Aiken
Coordinates: N 33° 25.468    W 081° 51.954
  33.42446666    -81.8659
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
On January 5, 1856, Governor James H. Hammond and eleven other farmers of this area organized the Beech Island Agricultural Club for the diffusion of agricultural knowledge and the regulation of illegal slave traffic. Monthly meetings and barbecues have been held almost without interruption since the club´s founding.


(Reverse)
In 1883 E. Spann Hammond donated to the Beech Island Agricultural Club a four-acre circular tract of land located less than a mile north of this site. The original club house was destroyed by fire on August 7, 1967. The site of the building is marked by a dedicatory plaque. The new club house was dedicated in June 1968.


Notes:

Two sided marker