Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Storm Branch Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 2-15
Location: 153 Storm Branch Rd., Clearwater, SC, vicinity
County: Aiken
Coordinates: N 33° 29.371    W 081° 54.443
  33.48951666    -81.90738333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church had its origins at or near this site in 1772 as a plantation chapel, in what was Edgefield District until after the Civil War. Revs. Iverson L. Brookes and John Trapp, prominent ministers in the Savannah River region, preached here from the 1830s into the 1860s; Brookes died in 1865.

(Reverse) Storm Branch Baptist Church became a wholly black church in August 1866 when Mrs. Sara Lamar, widow of planter Thomas G. Lamar, deeded this land to trustee Aleck Davis. About that same time the first permanent sanctuary was built. Rev. Robert L. Mabry, the longest serving minister, preached here from 1898 to 1943.

Erected by the Congregation, 1997