Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Original Survey Of Aiken



Marker ID: SCHM 2-26
Location: corner of Laurens St. and Park Ave., Aiken, SC
County: Aiken
Coordinates: N 33° 33.65    W 081° 43.244
  33.56083333    -81.72073333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

The town of Aiken, on land donated by Mr. Beverly M. Rodgers to the S.C. Rail Road in 1834, was laid out around a core of 27 city blocks bounded by Edgefield and Park Aves and Newberry and Williamsburg Sts. This area was surveyed by civil engineers Cyril Ouviere Pascalis (1810-1836?) and Andrew Alfred Dexter (1809-1854), who had also helped survey the route of the new railroad between Hamburg and Charleston in 1832-33.

Erected by the Henry Tyler Chapter, Colonial Dames of the XVII Century,
Jefferson Davis Chapter #2465,
United Daughters of the Confederacy,
and the Gen. David Williams Chapter,
National Society of the Daughters of the War of 1812, 2004