Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Jacksonville School Jacksonville Lodge



Marker ID: SCHM 2-28
Location: 351 Huber Clay Rd., Langley, SC
County: Aiken
Coordinates: N 33° 29.992    w 081° 50.542
  33.49986666    -81.84236666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Jacksonville School, built by the Jacksonville Lodge in 1895, taught the black children of this community until 1936. Grades 1-7, with two teachers, met in two classrooms on the first floor, without electricity or running water. The Jacksonville Community Commission acquired and renovated the building in 1991-92.

(Reverse)
This building was constructed in 1895 by the Jacksonville Lodge, Grand United Order of Odd Fellows, a black fraternal organization. The lodge was led by Rev. Robert L. Mabry (1867-1943), also pastor of nearby Storm Branch Baptist Churches 1898-1943. The Odd Fellows met here on the second floor for many years.

Erected by the Jacksonville Community Commission, Inc., in Memory of Founding President Erwin M. Robinson, 2005