Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Aiken County Farmer's Market



Marker ID: SCHM 2-32
Location: Williamsburg St. SE at Richland St. SE (U.S. Hwy. 78), Aiken, SC
County: Aiken
Coordinates: N 33° 33.394    W 081° 42.506
  33.55656666    -81.70843333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

The Aiken County Farmers´ Market, founded in 1951, was originally an open air market sponsored by the Edisto Grange. This building, which opened on May 21, 1954, was designed by Woodrow Jackson and built by the Aiken County chain gang. Farmers and their families built 45 tables, still used today. This is the oldest county farmers´ market in continuous service in the same location in S.C.

Erected by the Friends of the Aiken County Farmers´ Market, the Aiken County Historical Society, and the Historic Aiken Foundation, 2006