Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Jefferson High School / Rev. Austin Jefferson, Sr



Marker ID: SCHM 2-34
Location: 170 Flint St., Bath, SC
County: Aiken
Coordinates: N 33° 29.828    W 081° 51.859
  33.49713333    -81.86431666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Jefferson High School opened in 1956 as a junior high and high school for African-American students of Beech Island, Belvedere, Graniteville, Jackson, Langley-Bath-Clearwater, and North Augusta, with Herman W.W. Fennell (1910-1996) as principal. After county schools desegregated in 1970 it became Jefferson Junior High School, and in 1980 it became Jefferson Elementary School.

(Reverse)
This was one of three African-American schools in Aiken County named for Rev. Austin Jefferson, Sr. (1881-1966), longtime advocate for education. In 1944 the Langley-Bath Colored School was renamed Jefferson Grammar School in his honor. The original portion of this school was built in 1953 as the Jefferson Elementary School, with Augustus T. Stephens (1903-1992) as principal.

Erected by the Jefferson Alumni Association, 2007