Historic Markers Across South Carolina



St. John's Methodist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 2-35
Location: Richland Ave. SE (U.S. Hwy. 78), between Newberry & Chesterfield Sts., Aiken, SC
County: Aiken
Coordinates: N 33° 33.675    W 081° 43.224
  33.56125    -81.7204
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church has its origin in 1825 as a Methodist congregation on the Hollow Creek Circuit that predates the city of Aiken. Rev. John Reynolds was the first circuit rider serving St. John´s, which shared a minister with St. John in Graniteville until becoming a separate congregation in 1856. The first sanctuary here, a frame Greek Revival church designed by Dr. E.J.C. Wood, was built in 1857-58.

(Reverse)
The 1858 Greek Revival church was demolished in 1961-64 and replaced by the present sanctuary, a brick church designed by local architect John Weems. This church, consecrated in 1964, was built on the site of the old church cemetery. With the consent of their descendants, the persons buried there were exhumed and reburied south of the sanctuary. Their names are engraved on a marble plaque near the chapel entrance.

Erected by the Congregation, 2007