Historic Markers Across South Carolina



St. John's Methodist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 4-7
Location: South McDuffie and East River Streets, Anderson
County: Anderson
Coordinates: N 34° 30.041    W 082° 38.861
  34.500683    -82.647683
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Organized in 1828, this was the first church in Anderson. A log meeting house built in 1830 on West Benson Street served the church until 1858 when a frame building was erected on this site. A brick church replaced it in 1888. The present sanctuary was co