Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Anderson: "The Electric City"



Marker ID: SCHM 4-25
Location: on the grounds of the old Anderson County Courthouse, Anderson
County: Anderson
Coordinates: N 34° 30.212    W 082° 38.99
  34.50353333    -82.64983333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front) Anderson: "The Electric City"
Anderson was dubbed "The Electric City" in 1895 when William C. Whitner, an engineer and native of Anderson, built a hydroelectric power plant which was the first in the South to transmit electrici


Notes:

Two sided marker