Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Ebenezer Methodist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 4-39
Location: at the intersection of Due West Highway (State Highway 185) and County Road 17-60A, Anderson, SC
County: Anderson
Coordinates: N 34° 23.95    W 082° 33.45
  34.39916666    -82.5575
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church, formally organized by about 1800, is thought to be the oldest Methodist congregation in Anderson County. Circuit riders and other itinerant ministers held early services in a nearby brush arbor. Its first and second churches were small log buildings. A frame sanctuary, built by church members Samuel Emerson before the Civil War, was the first built on this site.

(Reverse)
Church trustees acquired this site in 1839, purchasing 3 acres from Amaziah Rice and George Manning for "a House or Place of Worship." The present frame church, built in 1909 by church members according to plans by Joe Hembree, features a double entrance with gabled porticos. The historic cemetery here includes graves of veterans from the American Revolution to the present.

2012 by Congregation of Ebenezer Methodist Church & the Kay Family Association.