Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Chamberlain-Kay House



Marker ID: SCHM 4-42
Location: at the intersection of River St (State Highway 247) and William St, Belton, SC
County: Anderson
Coordinates: N 34° 31.45    W 082° 29.433
  34.52416666    -82.49055
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

[Front]:
This house, built c. 1854 for railroad supervisor Charles C. Chamberlain, was among the first homes constructed in Belton. When the town incorporated in 1855, Chamberlain was chosen as the first intendent. Ira Williams, who was active in Democratic politics, bought the home in 1860 and it was a site of political rallies. In 1946 Judge William P. Kay purchased the house and his wife, Alice, operated the town kindergarten from here.

[ Reverse]:
The Piedmont-style farmhouse originally fronted the town square and featured a long carriage drive lined by cedar trees. In the early 20th century the home was reoriented to face River St. stylistically, the house exemplifies evolving architectural tastes. Combining original Greek Revival embellishments. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.


Erected 2015 by Kay Family Association and the Belton Area Museum Association.