Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Blue Ridge Railroad Passenger Station



Marker ID:  
Location: 124 North Main Street, Anderson, SC
County: Anderson
Coordinates: N 34° 30.25    W 082° 39.0
  34.50416666    -82.65
 



Text:

Blue Ridge Railroad
Passenger Station -- c. 1913


The history of the brass cannon reflects the history of the Upstate of South Carolina during some of its This building was erected as a passenger station for the Blue Ridge Railroad. It bridges the railroad cut under North Main Street which was excavated by the Blue Ridge Railroad Company as part of a project to build a line over the mountains to Knoxville, Tennessee, where it would connect with other railroads to the mid-west. The excavation work was done by Drawford Keys with the help of slave labor beginning in 1854. The project was abandoned in 1869, and the railroad was completed only as far as Walhalla. The Blue Ridge Passenger Station of later years was closed when passenger service was discontinued about 1945.

1776 ABC - ARBA 1976