Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Blackville: Town of the Phoenix



Marker ID: SCHM 6-5
Location: at the intersection of Main Street / Rail Roadd Avenue (South Carolina Route S-6-76) and Solomon Blatt Avenue, in the median on Main Street / Rail Roadd Avenue.
County: Barnwell
Coordinates: N 33° 21.307    W 081° 16.277
  33.355111    -81.271275
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Blackville was founded in 1833 as the first overnight stop on the new railroad operated by the S.C. Canal & Railroad Co. It was also the scene of 4 major fires in the late 19th century (in 1865, 1876, 1887, and 1888), each of which almost destroyed the to


Notes:

Two sided marker - Battle of Blackville, 1865