Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Barnwell



Marker ID: SCHM 6-15
Location: on Main Street (South Carolina Route 70) near Marlboro (South Carolina Route 3).
County: Barnwell
Coordinates: N 33° 14.674    W 081° 21.557
  33.244575    -81.359286
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Barnwell, originally called “Red Hill” and later “the Village,” was founded in 1800 when a courthouse was built on land donated by Benjamin Odom. Both Winton County and its new county seat were renamed for John Barnwell (1748-1800), a S.C. militia officer