Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Fort Walker



Marker ID: SCHM 7-9
Location: Ft. Walker Drive, on right just beyond North Port Royal Drive intersection, overlooking Port Royal Sound, Port Royal Plantation, Hilton Head Island, SC
County: Beaufort
Coordinates: N 32° 13.965    W 080° 40.629
  32.23275    -80.67715
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Hastily built in 1861 to protect the SC coast against Union attack, Fort Walker, commanded by Col. William C. Heyward, bore the brunt of the Union attack on November 7, 1861, when after 4 112 hours, with only 3 guns left serviceable and ammunition almost gone, the troops under Gen. Thomas F. Drayton were forced to withdraw from the island. Rebuilt by the Union forces, it was renamed Fort Welles.

Erected by Hilton Head Island Historical Society - 1961