Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Beaufort Arsenal



Marker ID: SCHM 7-10
Location: 713 Craven Street, Beaufort
County: Beaufort
Coordinates: N 32° 25.959    W 080° 40.234
  32.43265    -80.670567
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Erected in 1798 and rebuilt in 1852, the Beaufort Arsenal was the home of the Beaufort Volunteer Artillery, commissioned in 1802, which had its roots in an earlier company organized in 1776 and served valiantly in the Revolutionary War. The BV A was stationed at Fort Beauregard during the Battle of Port Royal on November 7, 1861.

Erected by Beaufort County Historical Society-1961