Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Pinckney Island



Marker ID: SCHM 7-20
Location: on Pinckney Island about 1 mile NW of Hilton Head Island, SC, on US 278
County: Beaufort
Coordinates: N 32° 13.821    W 080° 47.062
  32.23035    -80.784364
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Inhabited for some ten thousand years, Pinckney Island was known as Espalange, Look-out, and Mackey´s prior to about 1775. Alexander Mackey received two Proprietary grants for land on the island in 1710. Charles Pinckney later owned the island and in 1769 willed it to his son, Charles Cotes worth, who became a successful planter here.

Reverse)
James Bruce, former military aide to President Woodrow Wilson, purchased this island from the Pinckneys in 1937 and developed it into a small-game hunting preserve. In 1975 Margaret and James Barker and Edward Starr, Jr. donated the island to the United States for a wildlife refuge and a nature and forest preserve.

Erected by Beaufort County Historical Society - 1987