Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Beaufort College



Marker ID: SCHM 7-26
Location: on Carteret Street (U.S. 21),
County: Beaufort
Coordinates: N 32° 26.198    W 080° 40.191
  32.436633    -80.66985
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
Beaufort College, a college preparatory academy founded in 1795, occupied this Greek Revival building from 1852 to 1861. The school opened in 1084 at Bay and Church Sts. but closed in 1817 after a yellow fever epidemic, reopening in 1820 at Newcastle and Craven Sts. This building designed by John Gibbs Barnwell II featured two classrooms, two offices, and a library modeled after the one at S.C. College, now the South Caronliniana Library at the University of S.C.

(reverse)
Beaufort College closed its doors in 1861 when Beaufort was occupied by Federal troops. For the rest of the Civil War it was a school for former slaves and part of a hospital complex serving both freedmen and Federal soldiers. It also served as headquarters for the Freedmen´s Bureau here during Reconstruction, then became a public elementary school in 1909. In 1959 the University of S.C. acquired this building for its new Beaufort campus.

Erected 2001 by Beaufort Historical Society and the Beaufort College Board of Trustees.