Historic Markers Across South Carolina

Sheldon Union Academy

Marker ID: SCHM 7-27
Location: on Trask Parkway (U.S. 17 / 21) 0.1 miles north of Sheldon Drive
County: Beaufort
Coordinates: N 32° 36.182    W 080° 48.024
  32.603033    -80.8004
Style: Free Standing **


Sheldon Union Academy, later Sheldon School, opened in 1893 on this site and educated the black children of rural Sheldon community for almost fifty years. The original Sheldon Union Academy board, which founded and governed the school from 1893 to 1918, included S.T. Beaubien, M.W. Brown, P.R. Chisolm, H.L. Jones, S.W. Ladson, F.S. Mitchell, and N.D. Mitchell.

Sheldon Union Academy, founded by an independent group of community leaders, was a private school until 1918. That year its board deeded the property to Beaufort County, which built a new public school on this site. Sheldon School, which taught grades 1-7, closed in 1942 when the county consolidated its rural black schools.

Erected 2001 by Committee For Preservation Of African-American Landmarks.