Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Maxcy - Rhett House



Marker ID: USC 7-30
Location: on Craven Street near Church Street
County: Beaufort
Coordinates: N 32° 25.963    W 080° 40.496
  32.432717    -80.674933
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Maxcy - Rhett House
This house was built circa 1810 for Milton Maxcy (1782-1817), who came here from Massachusetts in 1804. Maxcy and his brother Virgil, who founded a school for young men in Beaufort, later taught at Beaufort College. In the 1850´s Edmund Rhett (1808-1863), lawyer, planter, state representative, and state senator, brought the house and extensively remodeled it in the Greek Revival style, featuring an elaborate two-story portico.

Erected 2005 by The Gen. Richard H. Anderson Camp No. 47 Sons of Confederate Veterans.