Historic Markers Across South Carolina



First Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 7-36
Location: 1201 North Street, Beaufort, SC
County: Beaufort
Coordinates: N 32° 25.999    W 080° 40.51
  32.43331666    -80.67516666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

First Presbyterian Church


(Front text)
Early attempts to establish a Presbyterian church in Beaufort, in the 1740s and 1880s, were unsuccessful. The first permanent congregation was founded in 1912 by 16 charter members. In 1921, when it acquired this lot, Rev. A.P. Toomer put up a sign with the Old Testament verse "the people had a mind to work." This Colonial Revival church, built in 1928-29, was designed by architect James H. Sams (1872-1935).
.

(Reverse text)
Notable architectural features include simple clapboard siding and clear arched windows. Members completed the interior, with Rev. F.B. Mayes (minister 1925-1949) as chief carpenter and Elder J.W. Logan in charge. The 1947-48 chancel arches were built by the craftsmen who built the U.S. Naval Hospital. In 1988 First Presbyterian gave funds and members to help found Sea Island Presbyterian Church.

2012 by The Congregation.