Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Gardens Corner



Marker ID: SCHM 7-47
Location: Intersection of the Charleston Hwy (US 17) and Trask Pkwy (US 21), Yemassee, SC
County: Beaufort
Coordinates: N 32° 36.050    W 080° 45.588
  32.60083333    -80.7598
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Gardens Corner was a junction of two significant roads long before the American Revolution. The King’s Highway (now U.S. Hwy 17) ran from Charleston to Savannah, while Shell Road (now U.S. Hwy 21) ran from here to the Port Royal Ferry and on to Beaufort and Port Royal. By 1795 the junction was named from Benjamin Garden (1736-1789) whose Fairfield Plantation was nearby.

Elements of opposing armies camped, marched, and skirmished nearby during the American Revolution and again during the Civil War. Gardens Corner, long a popular stop for travelers, boasted a store and inn for most of the 19th century and the Gardens Corner Restaurant and Court 1948-1970. The historic corner was replaced by a new highway interchange built 2007-2011.

Sponsored by Beaufort County and the Friends of Gardens Corner