Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Queen Chapel A.M.E. Church



Marker ID: SCHM 7-55
Location: 114 Beach City Rd, Hilton Head Island,SC
County: Beaufort
Coordinates: N 32° 13.66    W 080° 42.044
  32.22766666    -80.70073333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Queen Chapel A.M.E. Church


(front)
The congregation of Queen Chapel can trace its roots to May 1865 when A.M.E. missionaries Rev. R.H. Cain, Rev. James H.A. Johnson and James A. Handy arrived on Hilton Head Island. They visited the Freedman’s town of Mitchelville and preached a sermon before departing for Charleston. Missionaries like Cain, Johnson, and Handy represented the first official A.M.E. presence in S.C. since 1822.

(back)
In 1865 Charleston born A.M.E. Bishop D.A. Payne returned to S.C. and brought with him a group of missionaries. When they arrived in Hilton Head they met with Rev. James Lynch, who had come to S.C. in 1863 to perform missionary work among the Freedmen. The A.M.E. denomination experienced rapid growth after the Civil War and Queen Chapel was among the early churches founded.

Erected 2015 by Beaufort County Historical Society
and Queen Chapel A.M.E. Church..