Historic Markers Across South Carolina



First Fort



Marker ID: SCHM 
Location: on Bay Street near Scott Street,
County: Beaufort
Coordinates: N 32° 25.841    W 080° 40.238
  32.430681    -80.670625
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

On or near this site in the settlement known as Stuart Town stood the "Tight Watch House" erected in 1683-4. After the destruction of the town by the Spanish in 1686 it was replaced by a fort, approximately 100 feet square defended by "9 Great Guns" known as the Beaufort Fort after 1710. It was the main defence of the area until Fort Frederick was erected in 1735.

Erected by Beaufort County Historical Society.