Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Fort Howell - 1864



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Beach City Road and Dillon Road, Hilton Head Island, SC
County: Beaufort
Coordinates: N 32° 14.058    W 080° 41.516
  32.2343    -80.69193333
 



Text:

An excellent example of the defensive earthworks common to the civil War era, Fort Howell was constructed by Union Forces occupying Hilton Head Island and was one of the final fortifications to be built during the war. The men of the 32nd U.S. Colored Infantry Volunteers labored to complete the fort in the fall of 1864. Its purpose to protect Mitchelville, a freedman´s town of newly emancipated slaves, which lay just down the road from this spot.

Fort Howell was deeded to the Hilton Head Island Land Trust in 1993 to insure its public preservation as an historic site for current and future generations to enjoy.

Erected 1993 by Hilton Head Island Trust, Inc.