Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Old Moncks Corner



Marker ID: SCHM 8-2
Location: US 52 in Moncks Corner, at intersection with US 17-A
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 33° 12.137    W 079° 59.398
  33.202283    -79.989967
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Here was located the provincial town of Moncks Corner, deriving its name from Thomas Monck, an Englishman, who in 1735 purchased Mitten Plantation, and upon whose land the town was settled. It became an important commercial center prior to the Revolution. Upon the completion of the northeastern Railroad in 1857, the new railroad station was called Moncks Corner after the old town.