Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Pompion Hill Chapel



Marker ID: SCHM 8-11
Location: Road 98, 2.3 miles SW of intersection with SC 41
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 33° 4.853    W 079° 50.151
  33.08088333    -79.83585
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

One quarter mile north, the first Church of England edifice outside Charleston was erected of cypress in 1703, largely through the efforts of Gov. Sir Nathaniel Johnson. The present brick structure was erected in 1763. The Parish of St. Thomas, of which this was a chapel of ease, was established by Act of Assembly, Nov. 30, 1706.