Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Spring Hill Methodist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 8-14
Location: SC 27, about 2.5 miles S of 176
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 33° 13.89    W 080° 19.474
  33.2315    -80.32456666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

According to tradition, Methodists worshiped here under a brush arbor as early as 1800. On August 2, 1814, Phillip Keller deeded one acre for a Methodist Church and burying ground. Eden and Rebecca Green Thrower deeded an additional acre in 1839. A new wooden structure replaced the original building in 1846-47. The present church was built in 1958.

Erected by the Williams Family Association-1963