Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Lewisfield Plantation



Marker ID: SCHM 8-16
Location: about 1 mile SW of Moncks Corner on US 52
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 33° 10.061    W 080° 00.890
  33.16768333    -80.01483333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Sedgwick Lewis bought this land, part of Fairlawn Barony and known as Little Landing, in 1767. His daughter Sarah married Keating Simons. They acquired the land in 1774 and are presumed to have built the present plantation house. Tradition has it that during the Revolution, Co!. Wade Hampton took seventy-eight British prisoners and burned two boats with supplies and plunder at the nearby river landing.

Erected by Berkeley County Historical Society - 1978