Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Old Jamestown



Marker ID: SCHM 8-17
Location: about 1.5 miles SE of Jamestown on SC 45
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 33° 16.172    W 079° 40.12
  33.26953333    -79.66866666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

After receiving a proprietary land grant of 370 acres in 1705, French settlers laid out the town of Jamestown, about 2 miles N. By 1706, a church had been built known as the parish church of S1. James, Santee. Jamestown never prospered and a number of settlers left before the Revolution, moving to the nearby parishes of S1. Stephen´s and S1. John´s, Berkeley.

Erected by Berkeley County Historical Society-1985