Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Medway Plantation



Marker ID: SCHM 8-19
Location: US 52, about 3.2 miles N of Goose Creek
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 33° 02.250    W 080° 02.015
  33.0375    -80.033583
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

In 1686 Medway Plantation was granted by the Lords Proprietors to Jan Van Arrsen, Seigneur de Wernhau1. In 1689 the property came into the possession of Landgrave Thomas Smith, Governor-of South Carolina November 1693 to October 1694. He died in November 1694 and is buried at Medway.

Erected in 1965 to replace old marker destroyed


Notes:


Erected in 1965 to replace old marker destroyed