Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Casey (Caice)



Marker ID: SCHM 8-38
Location: Berkeley County Library, 325 Old Moncks Corner Rd., Goose Creek, SC
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 33° 1.194    W 080° 2.573
  33.193883    -80.042883
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This African-American community grew up around a Methodist church founded during Reconstruction by a freedman named Casey or Caice. Its early services were under a tent, but a log cabin served as its first permanent church. In 1868 T.W. Lewis and other trustees bought a 25-acre tract between S.C. Hwys. 176 and 52. After a frame church replaced the cabin, Rev. William Evans (1822-1887) became the first permanent ordained minister at Casey Methodist Church.

(Reverse)
Casey Methodist Church was destroyed by arson in 1977; the adjacent cemetery is all that remains. Casey School, a three-room frame school built next to the church in the 1930s, taught area children in grades 1-7 until it burned in 1966. The Goose Creek Branch of the Berkeley County Public Library was built on the site in 1991. The Casey Fellowship Hall, across Moncks Corner Road from the church, was also a vital institution in the Casey community for many years.

Erected by the City of Goose Creek, 2006